Isenberg & Hewitt, PC | A Business And Personal Injury Law Firm | Since 1989
Isenberg & Hewitt, PC | A Business And Personal Injury Law Firm | Since 1989
To talk with a lawyer call (770) 901-2666

Distinguished Georgia Trial Attorneys

Photo of the legal professionals at Isenberg & Hewitt, PC
Group photo of the firm's attorneys.
View Our Practice Areas
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » Government Liability

Can I Sue A City, County Or State Government Agency?

Just like a business, a local government can be sued if its negligence results in a serious injury to you. However, the rules that apply to personal injury litigation against a government agency are different from those that apply to a commercial property owner.

At Isenberg & Hewitt, PC, in Atlanta, our attorneys understand how to hold local governments financially accountable for injuries caused by unsafe property conditions and other types of negligence. We represent people throughout Georgia who are harmed by the negligence of municipalities, counties and state government agencies.

Deadline for filing legal notice: To sue a local government, you must file a specific notice letter, known as ante litem, with the governmental body. For a claim against a city, this notice must be filed within six months of the event that caused your injury. To sue a city or state government agency, you must file the notice within one year. If you fail to file this notice by the deadline, you give up your right to sue.

Helping You Obtain The Compensation You Deserve

Our lawyers are strong advocates for the injured in Georgia, having recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. The following are examples of the types of cases we handle:

  • Assaults, rapes and other violent crimes that occur due to inadequate security or other negligence on government property
  • Injuries in public housing due to unsafe conditions or other negligence
  • Accidents caused by unsafe roadways, such as defective guardrails
  • Slip-and-fall accidents on government property
  • Injuries on MARTA or other forms of public transportation
  • Injuries in public schools caused by deliberate actions of school administration and staff
  • Sexual abuse, assaults and other injuries in private and religious schools
  • Injuries caused by police brutality and other misconduct: There is no room in law enforcement for bad cops who use excessive force.

No matter how you were injured, we offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and explain your legal options.

Talk To A Lawyer At Isenberg & Hewitt, PC, Today

We are here to protect your rights and help you get the compensation you deserve.

To arrange a free consultation, call 770-901-2666 or complete our contact form. You will be able to speak directly with a skilled attorney.