Isenberg & Hewitt, PC | A Business And Personal Injury Law Firm | Since 1989
Isenberg & Hewitt, PC | A Business And Personal Injury Law Firm | Since 1989
To talk with a lawyer call (770) 901-2666

Distinguished Georgia Trial Attorneys

Photo of the legal professionals at Isenberg & Hewitt, PC
Group photo of the firm's attorneys.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Premises Liability
  4.  » Liability for injuries to household guests

Liability for injuries to household guests

On Behalf of | Oct 20, 2016 | Premises Liability

When Georgia residents are injured while on another person’s property, they may be able to recover compensation through the property owner’s homeowner’s insurance policy. Most homeowners’ policies provide liability coverage for injuries depending on why person was on the property.

The law differentiates between invitees, licensees and trespassers. Invitees include people who are legally on the property in order to conduct business. This may include meter readers, postal carriers or delivery drivers. Licensees are people who are social visitors, friends or family members who are on the property. Most insurance policies cover damages for both invitees and licensees who are injured.

Trespassers who are injured on other people’s properties are generally not able to hold the property owners liable. Most insurance companies specifically exclude trespassers with the exception of small children. Children who enter the property of others in order to swim in pools, play on trampolines or do other such things may be covered under the homeowner’s insurance policies. Even if they are not covered, the homeowner may in some cases be held legally responsible for any injuries that are sustained under the attractive nuisance theory. At any rate, people who are injured while on the property of others should tell the homeowner about their injuries and ask for their insurance information.

A person who is seriously injured while legally on the property of another might want to get help from an attorney. Legal counsel may be able to negotiate a higher settlement amount with the homeowner’s insurance company so that the client may receive fair compensation for injuries that have resulted from a preventable accident. If the amount offered is insufficient, it might be advisable to file a premises liability lawsuit against the homeowner.


FindLaw Network