Isenberg & Hewitt, PC
Since 1989
Isenberg & Hewitt, PC
Since 1989
To talk with a lawyer call
(770) 901-2666

1 million Americans suffer from stair-related injuries every year

| Oct 14, 2017 | Uncategorized

Georgia residents may be interested to learn that more than 1 million Americans every year suffer injuries after falling or tripping on the stairs. According to the American Journal of Emergency Medicine, all age groups are at risk for suffering injuries after falling or tripping on the stairs.

Younger children, older adults and women reported the highest number of injuries. However, all age groups are regularly admitted into emergency departments across the nation for stair-related injuries. The recent study was not able to determine why younger children, older adults and women had higher rates of stair-related injuries. Common injuries include fractures, strains, sprains and bumps. According to a senior author of the study, the frequency and rate of these injuries were increasing.

About 94 percent of all patients who suffered stair-related injuries were treated for minor injuries and then released. The remaining 6 percent were admitted in order to be treated for concussions or bone breaks. While about 60 percent of all stair-related accidents happened without cause, 23 percent were caused by slips or trips. Direct and indirect costs of nonfatal stair-related injuries are about $92 billion every year. As such, the authors noted a need for increased prevention efforts.

When a person visits a retailer, place of business or another person’s home, the property owners are required to ensure that the premises are safe for visitors. If a visitor suffers an injury on stairs that are uneven, poorly lit or in an unsafe condition, that individual could potentially file a lawsuit against the owner of the property. An attorney could assist with gathering evidence that shows that injuries occurred due to dangerous conditions. The injured victim may seek compensation for medical costs and other damages.


FindLaw Network