Georgia residents who enjoy cooling off at water parks or water-based outdoor recreational parks may be interested to learn that a family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against one such establishment following the death of their 18-year-old daughter. According to the lawsuit, the woman became infected with the Naegleria fowleri amoeba after visiting a North Carolina outdoor recreational park in June 2016.

According to the family, the woman visited the park while taking a post-high school graduation trip. She died just one week after returning home. The family claimed in their lawsuit that the recreational park caused the woman’s death by failing to properly chlorinate the water and regulate its temperature. They also claimed that the park failed to warn visitors of the potential hazards. The family is seeking more than $1 million in damages.

The Naegleria fowleri amoeba is an organism that attacks brain tissue. In order for the amoeba to infect a person, it must be inhaled through the nose. They are commonly found in fresh water lakes and rivers that are warm in temperature.

All establishments where visitors are expected are required to ensure that the premises are safe. Although not all hazards can be completely removed, the establishment must take appropriate steps to warn visitors about any potential hazards and how to prevent injury or illness. However, if a property owner fails to take these steps or does not attempt to mitigate a life-impacting or life-threatening hazard, a premises liability attorney may help a victim seek compensation for any losses that were sustained.

Source: CBS News, “Family files lawsuit over brain-eating amoeba death“, June 20, 2017