Isenberg & Hewitt, PC | A Business And Personal Injury Law Firm | Since 1989
Isenberg & Hewitt, PC | A Business And Personal Injury Law Firm | Since 1989
To talk with a lawyer call (770) 901-2666

Distinguished Georgia Trial Attorneys

Photo of the legal professionals at Isenberg & Hewitt, PC
Group photo of the firm's attorneys.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » Filing an injury claim against MARTA

Filing an injury claim against MARTA

On Behalf of | Nov 10, 2016 | Personal Injury

While buses and trains are among the safest ways to travel, accidents do happen. If you suffer a serious injury while riding on public transportation, you have the right to seek compensation.

Unfortunately, suing a governmental entity is not easy.

Who is will pay for my injury?

The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority or MARTA owes a high duty of care to passengers who ride its buses and trains. However, just because you were injured while riding a bus or train does not mean the government will pay for your damages. To recover compensation, you must show that MARTA failed in the duty of care it owed to you. Here are some examples of failing to meet that duty:

  • A train derailed due to excessive speed or faulty tracks
  • A bus struck you while you were walking or riding a bike legally
  • The bus driver failed to accommodate your disability, and you were injured as a result
  • You slipped and fell due to unsafe conditions
  • You were injured as the result of unsafe operation of the bus or train

If you were injured by a third party, such as the driver of another vehicle, you could sue the third party.

Filing injury claims against public entities

Suing a governmental entity such as MARTA is different from suing another driver. The government makes you jump through hoops before you can file a personal injury claim.

For example, before you can file a lawsuit, you must you must file a proper notice of your intent to sue with the responsible governmental entity within six months. If you fail to do so, your case may be dismissed.

Learn more about suing a public entity.


FindLaw Network