Isenberg & Hewitt, PC Since 1989
en espaƱol
To talk with a lawyer call
(770) 901-2666

Filing an injury claim against MARTA

While buses and trains are among the safest ways to travel, accidents do happen. If you suffer a serious injury while riding on public transportation, you have the right to seek compensation.

Unfortunately, suing a governmental entity is not easy.

Who is will pay for my injury?

The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority or MARTA owes a high duty of care to passengers who ride its buses and trains. However, just because you were injured while riding a bus or train does not mean the government will pay for your damages. To recover compensation, you must show that MARTA failed in the duty of care it owed to you. Here are some examples of failing to meet that duty:

  • A train derailed due to excessive speed or faulty tracks
  • A bus struck you while you were walking or riding a bike legally
  • The bus driver failed to accommodate your disability, and you were injured as a result
  • You slipped and fell due to unsafe conditions
  • You were injured as the result of unsafe operation of the bus or train

If you were injured by a third party, such as the driver of another vehicle, you could sue the third party.

Filing injury claims against public entities

Suing a governmental entity such as MARTA is different from suing another driver. The government makes you jump through hoops before you can file a personal injury claim.

For example, before you can file a lawsuit, you must you must file a proper notice of your intent to sue with the responsible governmental entity within six months. If you fail to do so, your case may be dismissed.

Learn more about suing a public entity.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • AV | Martindale Hubbell | Peer Review Rated
  • GTLA | Georgia Trial Lawyers Association | Proctecting the rights to trial by jury
  • IACC | International Association of Commercial Collectors Inc.
  • Atlanta Apartment Association
  • NOVA | National Organization for Victim Assistance
  • CVAC | Crime Victims Advocacy Council
  • CLLA | Commercial Law League of America
  • The National Center for Victims of Crime
  • The National Crime Victim Bar Association
Email Us For A Response

Contact the Attorneys at Isenberg & Hewitt, PC

We welcome your questions and look forward to helping you achieve your objectives. Call 770-901-2666 complete our contact form to discuss your legal issue with a lawyer at our firm.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Make your next step the right one. Call 770-901-2666 today


Isenberg & Hewitt, PC
6600 Peachtree Dunwoody Road, 600 Embassy Row, Suite 150
Atlanta, GA 30328

Phone: 770-901-2666
Fax: 770-828-0100
Map & Directions

Review Us