The Atlanta City Council has passed a new regulation that will require organizational officials to install carbon monoxide detectors in every public building in the city. Officials are hoping that the bill will help prevent public buildings from turning into dangerous properties in the event of a carbon monoxide leak.
The bill came about after a tragic accident in which 44 students and 10 adults suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning following a carbon monoxide leak at an elementary school. A little over two months after the incident, the Atlanta Public Safety Commission reached a unanimous vote in support of the new bill. The carbon monoxide detectors must be installed in public buildings no later than July 1, 2013.
Properties may be deemed "dangerous" for a variety of reasons, such as negligent maintenance. For example, a property owner may fail to make repairs when he or she knows about a dangerous condition that is found on the premises. A shopping center owner may fail to clean up spills shortly after they occur, or a business may be negligent by not regularly checking pipe work or inspecting the building for dangerous conditions like the presence of carbon monoxide. Even inadequate security can render a property unsafe for visitors and guests, particularly if it is in an area with a high crime rate.
If a victim is injured due to unsafe premises, he or she may be able to retain the services of a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer to file a claim. This type of legal claim is filed with the intent to hold a property owner responsible for his or her failure to maintain a safe property that is up to date with public safety and health codes. A successful lawsuit or a settlement may result in the victim being able to receive financial compensation for medical expenses, suffering and lost income that results from a property-related accident.
Source: CBS Atlanta, "Atlanta council votes to install CO detectors," Feb. 6, 2013